Maybe I'm not in the awful shape I thought I was....maybe just half-awful.
The kids and I started walking about three weeks ago, on average 4 nights a week. They ride their bikes, I walk. We've worked our way up to about a mile and a half each night. I'd love to go further, but we just don't have time between dinner, homework, baths, and bedtime to go for more than about 20 minutes. And it's starting to get dark earlier. I don't like to be on the road after about 7:30 now, especially on these country roads. It's just not safe for me or the kids when the roads aren't lit and such.
I'm doing a pretty brisk pace, and I've started jogging about a half mile of the route. It's fun, and it reminds me of a previous time I used to run 4 miles a day. I was in awesome shape then. I'd love to get back to that place.
Now, I just have to figure out what I'm going to do when it's dark by 6pm and cold. I know I won't want to walk then and the kids won't either. But I don't want to lose my motivation and stride that I've got going ..... I'm thinking about a treadmill, but I just don't know. And I'm not sure where I'd put it that I'd use it regularly and it would be out of the way, but not become a clothes hanger or backpack storage.
3 comments:
My treadmill is my life saver. It's just too dangerous to jog in the dark.
Do you have Comcast? I suggest the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels. It's only twenty minutes and you can try it out for free on Comcast onDemand. (The DVD is only $10 at Walmart) Warning. It's extremely intense for 20 minutes. As she says in the routine, it's only 20 minutes. You want a short workout she's going to push you.
Oh, good for you! Some of my best memories of my mother are from long walks we took. They were all afternoon walks though.
I like my recumbent bike, kept in a corner of the family room where I can see the tv.
We haven't figured out what we want to do when it gets dark either. We are walking about 3 miles, 3 times a week.
Post a Comment