Blame it on Carey. She made me think of this blog entry.
So.....what kitchen gadgets do you have that were "must owns" that you've used once or twice, if that, and never thought about again?
I have an air popcorn popper, a teensy crockpot for queso, a Slurpee machine, and about 18 different cutting boards.
I want a wok, a quesadilla maker, a bread machine, an ice cream maker and a sandwich maker. I also need a new griddle.
Then there are the gadgets I couldn't live without...but that's a post for another day.
14 comments:
I don't have a lot of gadgets.
1--I think there is a popcorn maker in the basement somewhere.
2--I almost never use my toaster oven.
3--I have a mini food processor my oldest DD thought was pure genius & talked me into buying. I haven't used it for a couple of years.
4--I almost never use my crockpot
The plug-ins I use frequently are:
1--My George Foreman (especially in the deep winter when I can't grill salmon outside without freezing my butt off.)
2--My toaster.
3--My electric coffee pot (mostly I use it to heat water for instant coffee.)
4--My blender.
5--I also use my garlic press all the time, but that's a hand compression thing. Are you counting non-electric gadgets?
I like knives. I have really, really nice knives. When I bought my starter knife set for $500 Mr. Swami said "WHAT!?! You spent $500 on a set of knives!!!"
And I answered "Isn't it great! They were 40% off. What a deal!"
But he loves them now too, even though he won't use my strope to sharpen them, he bought some little gadget thingy to sharpen 'his' with. I want another 2 &1/2 inch paring knife. They're $40. I like knives.
LOL I gave away my toaster oven a few years ago. I use my crock pot regularly during the winter months, not at all during the summer. I also have a coffee maker...hasn't been used in well over a year. Although, when my dad lived with me for a while, it was used daily.
Ahhhhhhhh, the joys of kitchen gadgets.
Items never used anymore:
- Veggie steamer (sold at garage sale).
- Blender. I used it twice to make daquiris.
- Pampered Chef food chopper.
- George Foreman grill. I need to start using it again.
- Electric can opener. I never use this because the cats think whatever i'm opening is for them so I don't like to tease them. For now, I use a manual can opener.
-Crockpot. Now that we are vegetarian, I don't know what to cook in it.
I have a cappucino maker and even bought a froth cup to go with it. I even bought clear coffee mugs to serve the cappucinos in. I've used the machine once.
I have a blender, but I don't use it very often.
I have an electric skillet that I don't use very often.
I pretty much use everything else I have.
I think I've mentioned this before. I use my coffee machine pretty much just for brewing hot water, which I use to mop the floor. I maybe make actual coffee in it 3 times per year.
I love kitchen gadgets!
My rarely used ones:
1) Grapefruit knife from Pampered Chef.
2) Fancy veggie cutter, also from PC (that was a gift)
3) Fondue pot...but I wish I used it more.
4) Garlic press. I just buy the jar of minced garlic now.
5) Dehydrator. We use it once a year to make venison jerky
6) Egg stractor. It sucks. I just gave it to Goodwill
7) Ginsu knife. It came free with the dehydrator.
8) Cookie press from PC yet again. Hate it. I need to sell it on ebay.
9) Quesedilla maker. I used it about 5xper year. If I'm just having one, I'll make it in the skillet instead of hauling out the maker.
10) Iced tea maker. It's quicker to boil the tea bags & throw it in a pitcher.
11) Bread Machine. Again, used only about 5xper year. Mostly for pizza dough.
12) Waffle maker. We have waffles maybe twice/year.
It's safe for me to say that I pretty much have one of almost everything listed in the comments. :)
Oh, I forgot about my fondue set.
I have the oil fondue thingy, cheese fondue and chocolate fondue. We used to have fondue as our New Year's Eve dinner with the boys. Now, they never get used. I love fondue!
LOL at Boo & her coffee pot. :-)
hmm. I'll have to ask Shawn and get back to you. I have this little crock that says "Gloria's kitchen" but that is very much false.
or very much a crock, if you will
I have one of those things you put the cheese in and turn it out and it has a wire that comes down to make the slices. The problem is that I buy my cheese in a huge block that doesn't fit the slicer/storer.
I thought of this yesterday as I was cleaning my kitchen. I have:
Guest glasses. We have regular glasses that we use in general. But I also have guest glasses that are supposed to be used only for guests. I use them when I entertain, but sometimes people fetch their own, which makes me cringe. I think I told Michael about the specifics once and just stopped in the middle.
I also have these very fancy wine glasses. When I first opened the box, I didn't like them. I hadn't registered for them. But then I realized that they were perfect for my plates.
I also have general everyday plates and deck plates. If you come over and eat on the deck, you get a white dinner plate and a colored salad plate. And then the napkins and mats are also different colors. So you may get a green mat, a blue napkin, a white dinner plate, and a yellow salad plate. But the presentation is nice.
Don't have too many gadgets because there isn't much cooking that goes on in the Augie House, but I do use the crock pot a lot.
Like Swami I could spend tons on knives. I really want a top of the line knife set, to include the cool chef knife that Racheal Ray uses (but not necessarily her brand).
I won a rice cooker once and gave it away without ever using it.
Post a Comment