Or so the ER doc says. I'm not so sure.
I've been fighting a sinus infection for the last week or so. Woke up Tuesday AM running a low grade fever and generally feeling like smashed shit. Called in to work, took the kids to school and went to my doctor's office without an appointment. They squished me in and confirmed that the minor swelling on my cheek was due to the sinus infection and my 160/100 blood pressure was due to the Nyquil and Sudafed combo and facial pain. She gave me two prescriptions for 875 mg horsepills of Amoxil and 800 mg of some horsepill decongestant and sent me on my merry way. Came home and crashed. I slept off and on from 10am until 4pm, when I finally rose from the dead only to discover that the entire left side of my face was swollen beyond recognition. Called my doc's office and they said to monitor the swelling and my blood pressure closely and go to the ER if it got worse. At this point my bp was hanging in around 140/90, so I wasn't too concerned about that. The pain was killing me, so I took 3 Advil and went back to bed. Dipshit's mom kept the kids because she refused to send them home with me while I was that sick. This morning, I woke up to find the swelling had gotten worse and my left eye was nearly swollen shut. This was not the work of a sinus infection. So I called DH on his way home from work and told him that he was going to be taking me to the ER.
Seven hours, a CT scan, an IV of antibiotics, an IV of Demoral, 4 vials of blood drawn, and a new prescription for Lortab later? I have a very low white blood cell count, a minor sinus infection, and my teeth are causing this massive swelling. I didn't know anything was wrong with my teeth, but apparently I do. So I have found a new dentist and shall be calling in the morning for an emergency appointment.
That? is where I've been.
12 comments:
OMG! Momma! I hope they find out what's wrong very soon and can fix it.
Sorry you've been having all this pain and uckiness!
{{{hugs}}}
Yikes!!! Hope that they figure out what's up and get you better soon. Is the low white count related to the teeth issue or is it a separate thing? (my brain is trying to remember the immunology of the mouth but it isn't so much working.)
Anyway, hope that you feel better soon. (((((hugs)))))
Iggy, the normal range for white blood cell count is between 4500 and 10000 - the higher numbers are due to increase production to fight infection.
It has become typical for my immune system to have very low (3700-4800) white blood cell count during the time of infections. It's bizarre. Today was 4800. Barely in the normal range. And scary when you think about my family history. At some point when I am well, I need to have a full physical done.
I hope this isn't because i told you to put wine in a box and drink it and then it infected your teeth and made your head swell and your white blood cells to disappear.
This happened once before when I told someone to put their fine bottled wine into a box. Damnit, i didn't think it would happen twice.
*smooch*
Oh no! I'm glad you can see/sit up well enough to type. Thank-you for the update.
I hope you can get a dentist appointment really soon.
*smooch* from a distance and *hugging motion*
Don't want to hurt you...
I'm so sorry! How awful! Thank you for the update but now you need to take care of you. Come back when you feel better, sweetie.
{{hugs}}
Aw, Momma! That sucks. Sinus/face pain is such a drag. Take care of yourself sweetie. We miss you when you disappear like that.
*hugs*
Will me sending you a box of books help you feel better? Cause I can do that. *smooch*
Feel better soon!
Yikes. Poor Momma. Get better real quick.
I blame Carey too. I told you not to drink that stuff.
OMH Poor Momma! *gentle hugs*
Hope they find out what's causing the pain. Feel better soon.
Ah. Gotcha now (Actually, the stuff about normal WBC range etc. was exactly what consumed a large portion of my day yesterday.) Hmm. That's interesting that you have a generally low count during an infection. I will have to think about that.
Good luck at the dentist today and I hope that you feel better soon. :)
Post a Comment