Wednesday, December 21

Ready or not...it's almost Christmas!

And I'm not. Sort of. I finished the kids stuff tonight. Finally. For the most part. There is one other thing I want to get them, but I'm not sure that time/money will allow. I really want to have satellite installed in their rooms. But I think my Christmas budget is pretty well gone. So that may have to be in a month or two just for shits and grins. Not a big deal since Santa is bringing each a DVD player and 5 movies a piece and a DVD rack for each of their rooms. I should find out tomorrow about the car for DH. I've decided on the 3rd. It's the GT Deluxe model from 03, has 33K miles on it, and the price is right. And so is the engine, transmission, coloring, and all that jazz.

Somehow, I managed to sucker myself into having DH's dad and stepmom here for Christmas morning. I realized that DH wouldn't want to drive an hour and half each way to his Dad's at some point Christmas Day after having worked a 24 hour shift Christmas Eve. And I really have no desire to spend half the day running across North Texas again this year. And his sister and her husband and their 3 kids are staying home (read: the other side of Dallas, an hour from our house) this year. So his dad and stepmom (who I adore) would be all alone with their cows this year. Which sucks. So I called to see if they wanted to come down for the day. Of course, they did. And in the last 12 hours has become a semi-large production for what I had hoped would be a laid back day. They are bringing a ham. And macaroni and veggies and rolls and dessert and.....hell if I know what else. And their Black Lab, of course. Which is fine. But now DH's sister and her family may be coming out to eat lunch/dinner/whatever you want to call that noon meal.

Which brings me to my next problem. I haven't bought my neices and nephew anything for Christmas because I hadn't planned on seeing them. DH's family typically doesn't exchange gifts with each other because their are 4 grown kids and 5 children + his dad, stepmom, mom and step dad. DH's parents do a few things for each of the grandkids, but that's about it. Which is fine. Normally we all get together a day or two after for a meal and hang out. But if I see them on Christmas Day, I'm going to have to do something. I just wouldn't feel right about it otherwise.

Ah well. It will all work out in the next few days, right? It has to. Christmas is almost here. Ready or not.

14 comments:

Bravie said...

You? have been very busy. Just think, all this build up for one day and then poof it's over with.

momma said...

But the joy carries on...see, with new toys and a DVD player and new movies? my kids will certainly shut up for a while. And with a new car? so will dh. This? means happy momma for a while. *grin*

mtw said...

Momma, that sounds like fun, and though your house will be full, *you* don't have to drive anywhere.

Puffy said...

Have a merry, happy, fun-filled Christmas and New Years!

Breezy said...

hmmmmmm Do you HAVE to get stuff for the nieces and nephew?

I vote a game, something for them all. Instead of individual gifts. Maybe? *head tilt*

~Nutz said...

This will be a wonderful visit! I just know it will!

I like Breezy's suggestion of a game or two. ...or some other sort of group gift. You could also do gift cards.

How many nieces & nephews are there?

momma said...

2 nieces - one is 15, the other is 10. The nephew is 11 (I think). If they come out, I'll get the 10 yr old a hoodie, which is what she wants, the 15 year old some makeup/body stuff and the 11-12 year old....I haven't the slightest freaking clue. He's wierd.

Sonya said...

I mailed you out an invite to "something/something" this morning.

lights said...

Merry Christmas Momma! And Momma's family!

I wish I was staying home for Christmas instead of travelling. I'd even be willing to cook the dinner if they'd all make the trip!

Seana said...

I vote for delegating to make your life easier. Especially to the older kids. I find it makes them feel important and helps create more of a family bond.

I like Breezy's "family gift" idea - Operation, Mousetrap, Life, Monopoly, Scene It?, Guess Who? Most of those are around $20 - well here, anyway.

I love entertaining, but I hate anticipating entertaining. Just remember, they're there to celebrate a holiday as family. They don't care if you cleaned behind the fridge. :D

Anyway, I think you're doing a good thing, having family over.

mm said...

Wow, sounds crazy busy, but you seem to be pretty close to being done. For the nephew, how about a gift card for a music store, enough for one CD, or something? That is a hard age (and gender) to buy for, I think.

Coco said...

Love love the game idea. Get something that takes forever, like Monopoly or Risk. Kids that age would probably like Risk.

*smooch*

I hope everything works out for you!

Syren said...

Just stopping in to wish you a wonderful Holiday time.

Anonymous said...

Not quite ready here either Momma. The good news is that Santa doesn't wrap his gifts. *grin* He just assembles them. *ungrin*

Sounds busy and fun at your house. We are having everyone to our house on Sunday too. At least I don't have to make all the food, but I do have to clean.

And that noon meal. I call it lunch. Unless it's Sunday or Christmas or Thanksgiving, and then I call it dinner. And sometimes on those days, there are two dinners.

Have a great time and just enjoy the love.