Thursday, June 22

More job news...

I was offered a job this morning. It's for a medical management company, doing accounts receivables and dealing with the insurance companies. I really would like to take this job. BUT...it's a $400/month pay cut and that's $400 we "need."

What to do...what to do...the state of my current job is bad enough that I'm about ready to take the job and figure out our finances later. Yikes.

13 comments:

Breezy said...

Erk! That's a big cut to make.

*smooch*

kim (weltek) said...

Yay! and Boo! That's a big pay cut (at least for me it would be). And what if you don't like this job much more?

Any way you can negotiate the salary? Be bold! If it were closer to the same salary, it would be highly worth the risk for potential happiness.

Seana said...

Yikes. Personally, I wouldn't take a pay cut, I think.

Um, however, I *did* quit my job last summer and so I suppose that *technically* I took a huge pay cut. And we are surviving well. We don't go out for dinner very often, we shop at no-frills grocery stores, we enjoy cheap or free recreation like parks, libraries and city museums.

You could do it if you had to. If you want this new job because it is a good place to work and you think you'd be happy there, as opposed to it just being not where you work now.

Schnookie said...

Ouch! $400/month is a pretty hefty pay cut. You really have to sit down and write out all the pros and cons. If the pros win out then take it. Life's too short to be so unhappy at your job right?

mtw said...

I think you shold hold out for a better job closer to what you're making now. If you got offered this one, and came *that close* to the last one, you'll have another one come your way, no?

That way, you won't feel bad if shortly down the line, you start interviewing again because you want more money.

But definitely try to negotiate the salary as Kim suggested!

Bravie said...

Yikes. That's a big chunk of change to lose every month. What happens if you take that job and then end up hating it too?

Monstah said...

Yay for you for the job offer...only wish it matched your other pay. *hug*

PS Hi!

Surveysez said...

Your quals are good enough to be getting the job offers and interviews. Do you really want to jump at the first one, even when you know there are drawbacks?

~Nutz said...

That would definitely be too much of a pay cut for me to even consider taking it, but that's me. I would try to negotiate a higher salary and if they can't do that, wait until another offer comes along.

Syren said...

Take the cut, but try to figure out finances before. Happiness sometimes is worth it...

We are getting ready to face the same thing. With a baby due soon. I'm very very skeered.

Anonymous said...

Only you can make the decision, but I agree that that's a big cut.

*smooch*

Lasann said...

No advice, just a "hello".

Aislinn Sirk said...

It isn't easy, but maybe you can look at how much happiness $400 dollar gives you versus a new job.

It wouldn't hurt to ask about pay. They can only say no, right?

Keep looking. You will find it.