This has been the strangest weekend I've had in a long time. A weekend of firsts, if you will.
It started with DH keeping the kids on their first day of summer vacation. He has been known to keep the Rottens for bits and pieces, but never a whole day. He has gained a new understanding and appreciation for (step)parenting, I do believe. And I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
It progressed to the ex not picking up the kids Friday night. Come to find out, after dinner and ice cream, they didn't want to go with him anyway. How did I find this out? I sure as shit didn't ask them! They told their dad when Rotten2 called him at 9-something to ask him why he wasn't picking them up.
Saturday dawned hot and slightly humid. We took the kids to Rotten1's baseball game, where the ex and his girlfriend showed up. Nothing too odd there, except the ex actually pretended he gives a shit and helped out in the dugout for the first time all season. Of course, it's the second to last game. Then, standing in the parking lot after the game, the kids inform their dad and me that they want me to take them to a friend's birthday party at 4 and that they are going home with me and DH. This is at noon. I had no idea this was coming, so I was a bit surprised but told the kids if that's what they wanted to do they'd best load their butts in my truck. The ex was not happy but blew it off. We went to the party, had a good time, and the kids decided to veer off to spend the night with friends, knowing they were supposed to be meeting up with their dad after the party. Of course, who's left to call the ex and let him know? Me. Yeah. He was slightly pissed and started to get an attitude, which I quickly shut down with something along the lines of "Hey, I'm not going to force them to go to your house when they don't want to."
So, this morning.....I pick the kids up around noon and we call their dad. At this point, they are kind of resigned to the idea that it's the end of dad's weekend and they haven't gone over there. They called. He "requested" their presence immediately. And they started to refuse. Again. Then I guess they figured it'd be okay. Of course, all the way over there, I had to listen to them complaining about the girlfriend's three kids, the girlfriend, their dad, etc.
And now....I've vegged out and napped for the better part of the day. I feel like a truck ran over me and I'm running a low grade fever. No real complaints other than a nagging headache that doesn't want to go away. Joy. I do not want to get sick. I have plans for this week, dammit. I do not need to get sick. I haven't been sick with a fever in almost a year! For the moment, I have a bit of energy, so I'm trying to clean this pigsty I live in. It's absolutely looking like a train wreck.
Off to dust a bit! Then I'll try to catch up a bit more on the blogworld. *smooch*
10 comments:
Poor baby. Get lots of sleep tonight.
*washes monitor with antiseptic lotion*
I'm sick, too.
Ack! I can't get sick now!
*holds breath in Momma's blog*
Well, good for the Rottens for exerting their feelings. Hope you feel better, Momma!
*smooch*
Oh no. They are being rebels! *grin*
Too bad they don't seem to care for dad's GF & her kids.
Heh, aren't exes fun? NOT!
Hope you got some rest. *smooch*
I'm just recovering, so don't you dare get me sick.
Your post reminded me of a quote, which I'll paraphrase:
When it's over the kids will remember how much fun/love they had in your house, not how clean/dirty it was.
Just saying so you won't stess about the dust!
No offense Lasann, but when I look at the mess my house usually is I always remember how perfect my mom kept our family home. Nothing anywhere was every dirty or deteriorated. Of course this was the 50s and mom had a cleaning lady 2x per week. I want a cleaning lady so bad!
Maybe knowing his kids don't want to come see him will shape up your ex, Momma. It sounds like he needs to figure out how to engage them better.
I hope you feel better! *hugs to you & the Rottens* At least doing this dance is easier than making life work with you and your ex together. Just remember that.
Hope you're feeling better Momma!
*blows smooches*
Post a Comment