Thursday, April 26

Back atcha, Buster!

Earlier this school year, Rotten1 got in trouble a few times at school for "inappropriate comments" made around other classmates. He ended up in In School Suspension twice for it. We've had many, many discussions about what is appropriate school discussion and what is not.

Today, he had a skating field trip to celebrate passing the TAKS test. As we're talking about the fun they had, what he and his buddies did, etc he says "By the way, they played songs that aren't appropriate for school. One of the songs played? My Humps by the Black Eyed Peas. Okay, now....I'm no overprotective mom. This is certainly not the first time my 9 year old has heard this song, nor will it be the last. He knows what the song is about. And that's fine.

BUT

After getting in much trouble, spending almost 5 weeks in ISS, DH my ex and I having a meeting or two with principals and superintendents, and Rotten1 being grounded, we had finally made our point with him. Then this. So I sent the following email to the principal and superintendent:

Today the 3rd grade attended a TAKS skating party. I allowed my son, Rotten1 (Teacher's class) to attend. While telling me about the skating party, his friends, and the fun they had, he mentioned that "they played songs that aren't appropriate for school." Those were his words. After the issues earlier this school year that he was involved in, I am quite concerned about this. So I asked what songs he was talking about...below is one of the song titles and artists, along with lyrics, that he could remember. He also mentioned a Tim McGraw song (Last Dollar Fly Away) and a Five for Fighting song (Superman) - both of which I have no problem with. He also said there were a couple that he didn't know that had cuss words in them. Again, I can only go off of what he is telling me, as I was not able to attend this field trip. *insert My Humps song lyrics here*

How do I explain to my son, who was in ISS twice this year for inappropriate comments and actions that these songs played during a school function are acceptable, yet the comments and actions he displayed at school earlier this year are not? Somehow, I'm thinking we have a problem here and I'd like to know what will be done.

BLAM! Back atcha, school district! That ought to teach 'em to get all pissy with me earlier this year over what basically was nothing out of the ordinary....my son just got caught saying what I've heard him and his friends say many a time. I don't know if I find it all funny or quite aggravating or if it just plain pisses me off.

20 comments:

Breezy said...

Did you title the email Backatcha? *giggle*

I'm sure they'll claim they had no control over the music, but hopefully your point will get across.

momma said...

LOL No, I didn't.

I know they really don't have a whole lot of control over the music, but STILL!!! I just felt like bitching a bit.

Bravie said...

You're so scary when you get tough and stuff. *grin*

momma said...

LMAO. Considering he got in trouble the last time for the word humping, it makes this almost hilarious.

Bravie said...

All I can say about the school is that they are soooo gay. *snort*

momma said...

LMAO!!!!!! Exactly.

The principal called. He went out to the skating rink this morning because there's a 2nd group going today and personally reviewed the playlist. *snort* He didn't recognize any of the songs, but asked the owner to ensure there are no cuss words or innappropriate language. *grin* He apologized all over the place after trying to sidestep the issue a few times. I think I made my point.

Bravie said...

Yay for you. Good job of getting the point across. You really are bad ass. Remind me not to mess with you. or play dirty lyrics. *grin*

Breezy said...

Yay for getting your point across! *hop*

momma said...

Oh hush, Bravie. *evil eye*

*hops with Breezy*

Bravie said...

*cowers* Yes ma'am.

kim (weltek) said...

Ha! I love you!

Jen said...

What a coincidence! This is the perfect place to discuss what was going to be a post on my blog.

Have you heard the Alanis Morrisette version of My Humps? Holy shitballs. It is godawful. I've always thought of her as a serious musician, but she just lost any credibility with me as a real artist. I can't imagine what she was thinking when she decided to cover that song. *shakes head*

Anyway, back on topic, good for you! :)

Jen said...

LMAO!! It just came on the radio! Wow, this is freaky.

Lasann said...

I'm glad you wrote the letter. When this happens to me I just let it boil inside of me - the hypocracy of it all.

An apology from a principal is a good thing!!

Jen said...

Uhh. Now they're playing the Black Eyed Peas version of the song. Jeez! Now I remember why I don't listen to this station very often.

momma said...

Poor Jen.

*shakes head*

I have not heard Alanis sing the song. I shall have to listen for it.

~Nutz said...

I bet they won't even respond! Make sure to let us know if they do.

Jen, that Alanis version was meant to be tongue-in-cheek from what I heard. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

Swami said...

It is always good to point out double standards to institutions like schools. Good for you.

Jen said...

That's a relief, Nutz. I was really having a hard time taking her version seriously.
I still hate it though. :)

Puffy said...

Good for you and I'm glad that the principal responded.