Thursday, June 28

Am I the Anti-Parent?

The present suggestion thread on OT got me to thinking again about something that has come up in my world many times before. I'm starting to think I'm the weird anti-parent or something. I seem to be the ONLY parent I know (IRL and online) that buys her own kids markers (washable, of course), acrylic and watercolor paints, glue, stickers, play-doh, googly eyes, construction paper, scissors, beads, legos and the like.

Yeah, it could lead to a disaster. Yeah, I could probably kill myself on beads or legos. Yeah, I might end up with my hall walls painted or something.

But you know what, even though my kids have most of this stuff in their own rooms, I've only had two what-you-could-possibly-call-problems in all these years. Rotten1 made a sticker frame around his tv once and Rotten2 drew on her white wood dresser. The stickers came off with minimal effort, and I even let them stay there for a good while. The dresser is still drawn on a year later, primarily because I haven't redecorated and repainted her room.

So I guess I'm just the bizarro parent for letting my kids have this stuff, buying it myself, and letting them keep most of it in their rooms so it's accessible to them.

18 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

I was never restristricted from this stuff as a kid. It was quite clear to me that I wasn't to abuse the stuff, so I didn't. If I made a mess, it was purely by accident.

Many parents I know will buy the stuff, but restrict access to "when an adult is around."

Bravie said...

Michelle doesn't let me play with scissors.

Swami said...

People don't let their kids have stuff like that anymore!?! Jeez - what's the world coming to? Those things are the joy of childhood!

My kids had bins and boxes of stuff like that and there were no tragedies that little spit, polish and paint couldn't fix.

I mail stuff like that to my grandson regularly and my DD is very happy that I do. Of course, she's an artist. They probably fight over the stuff.

momma said...

See, I don't restrict access or tell them no. Well, I take that back...some times I just don't feel like sweeping the kitchen after they finish with PlayDoh. But, if they want to be the ones to sweep, they play with it.

Bravie, there's probably a good reason Michelle doesn't let you play with scissors.

Swami, my kids LOVE all their crafty fun stuff. And I can't imagine it not being available to them at all times. I have friends that refuse to buy paints, playdoh and markers. Their kids are as old or a bit older than mine and have never had this stuff at home! It boggles the mind.

frodis said...

I think there's some creativity lacking in a lot of toys these days. Markers, beads, legos . . . those are all good things for a kid's imagination.

I drew on my bedroom walls repeatedly.

My neice and nephew have lots of markers and play-doh and paints and messy stuff. As a result I have a lot of fun kid-art hanging on my fridge. I think it's a good thing for kids to have those things.

Puffy said...

*spills 25,000 beads all over Momma's blog*

momma said...

Frodis, you are right. Lots of learning toys, but little imagination and creativity required. To me, those are just as important.

Okay, Puffy! You must now clean up your mess or you won't get to play anymore.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I think I need to post a couple more pictures of Coco's monsters.

Aislinn Sirk said...

My kids won't get play with any sissy play-do and markers.

My kids will get to play with jagged bits of metal, fine crystal and gasoline.

Kimmah said...

i haven't read the thread, but sam's favorite toy is a marker and a spiral notebook.

Anonymous said...

Nope. I do it too.

I just bought Conner a brand new box to house all of his crayons and markers because he left his other one in my truck, and it got all melted.

We love to do art projects, and we paint a lot. And I should have taken a picture of it, but we just gave neighbor boy an art box that we made together and filled with all kinds of supplies.

kim (weltek) said...

How is the rain today? I see there is more on the way. I'd gladly take some of your rain, if I could.

momma said...

Gah. Let's not talk about the rain. I live in the middle of a swamp these days and two of the three ways out of my road to the highway are impassable due to the flooding.

kim (weltek) said...

Yeep. Bet the mosquitos are going to be HUGE after this. *shudders*

Zombs said...

I did not read it yet but we do crafts all the time. We make presents for people(painting unfinished wood things) and they love to paint. Fingerpaint and markers and clay and all that stuff.

My kids are younger so they don't have access to it but if they want it and I can watch they can play! I just put newspapers down. To me art is sooo important.

Glowie said...

I didn't read the thread but I happen to think you're a great parent. And ditto Kim's first post. And LOL at Carey. *snort*

*smooch*

Buggy said...

Count me as an 'art supplier' parent.
I think Katie got her first set of water color paints ( and an easel) for her 2nd birthday.
Some things she had supervision for,( playdoh in the kitchen only) and others she was just allowed to keep in her room and use whenever she wanted.
We used to buy her cheap housepaint brushes, you know, the big ones, and give her a bucket of water and let her "paint" the deck and sidewalk and house outside. She knew those were the 'outside' brushes.
I always gave glue and pipecleaners and pom poms and wiggly eyes for birthday gifts to elementary aged kids. No one ever complained.
I understand not wanting to totally wreck the house, but if it can't stand a little glue and paint and crayon, then maybe it's too foofoo to raise kids in.

Breezy said...

Huh? How is giving art and crafty stuff to your kid anti-parent? Yeesh, no wonder OT is broke if that's what was discussed over the weekend.