* Spent the day with my aunt and uncle today going thru what's left of Grandma and Grandpa's stuff. Next weekend is supposed to be the "garage sale" and shelter donations.
* WTF are people supposed to do with 87 bazillion sets of Corning Ware? You know what I'm talking about. White plates, gold leafy type funky pattern around the edges. Everybody's Grandma (and probably many of us) had them at some point. Just when I get rid of all of my paternal Grandma's, someone wants me to take the maternal Grandma's. Ack!
* Does anyone still use a steel colander? What about wool blankets?
* I am now the proud owner of two sets of china and two sets of crystal - my mom's that I got last summer and now my grandparents'. I have no where to put or display these beautiful pieces of dinnerware. I feel totally guilty for stacking the boxes in the laundry room.
* At what point does the couch that's been around for 30+ years finally get disposed of? It's been recovered and re-fluffed at least once that I can remember. And it's still trying to stay in the family. As is the freaking console tv that I watched Captain Kangaroo on as a child.
It's been a long ass day. And maybe, just maybe, now I'm okay with my aunt and uncle buying Grandma's house and making changes. Maybe. I'm glad I went down, feels sort of like I closed another chapter. And I'm glad I decided to go down there alone.
4 comments:
It's good that you're doing this, momma. The best part is all the memories it sparks. It took so long to clear out Nana and Papa's house when they moved to the home.
I see no reason to keep the Corningware. It could certainly go for the garage sale or to the shelter. (That's such a great idea. I wouldn't have thought of that.)
You never know when you might need a colander that you don't need for cooking. Like when you get leaves in the kiddie pool or something. :-) Wool blankets = cat or dog beds.
Yeah, my uncle gave me my grandmother's lovely ruby crystal set, which is living in a box in the fruit cellar.
I don't know about the couch. The shelter might like it.
I'm glad you're feeling better. I admit I felt a bit odd about my uncles selling Nana and Papa's house, but I made my peace too. The photo album they gave me helped a lot.
I went back blonde and I actually went short too. I posted pics for you.
*hugs momma* Rough times. Melancholy times. Seana had a couple of good suggestions.
*hug*
Wanna come and help me sort my stuff now for the yard sale?
Post a Comment