Wednesday, February 14

Observations of a WalMart shopper

I went to the store tonight, partially for a Valentine's card for DH, partly because I needed a few miscellaneous household items, and partly because I had time to kill. The kids are at their dad's for the night, DH is at work. So I browsed through the store to see if anything caught my eye. And I learned a few things.

One man bought his wife's Valentine's card/gift a week ago. But he forgot his mother-in-law. The selection of mother-in-law Valentine's cards is nil on Valentine's Day.

Two men were shopping together and trying to find the "right" romantic card for their wives while proclaiming how cheesy the cards really are.

One woman and her daughter stood in the same spot, looking at the same card for five full minutes. And discussed what Jason did not do for Valentine's Day. If I am guessing correctly, no one really expected Jason to do anything, so it was not a great shock he did nothing. But they were still disappointed.

Another woman picked up a card, placed it in her basket, rolled off. Came back with Valentine's wrapping paper. Put back the card she originally had and took another. Left. Apparently put up the wrapping paper. Put back the card. Got another. Left. Came back with the paper, stared at the cards again. And left.

A man, staring at the cards for as long as I watched the people from the safety of the men's clothing area, remarked that it was his own fault there were no cards to choose from. If only he'd learned the last 23 years not to put off shopping til the very last minute.

And this? is part of the reason I just don't like Valentine's Day. Entirely too stressful to make sure you get the right card, gift and wrapping paper for everyone so they know they are loved by Hallmark and their family.

8 comments:

mm said...

LOL! I ususally pick a card that is pretty, and then write the important stuff myself. I can see people hate the holiday though.

*smooches momma*

Breezy said...

Another good reason to make your own cards. *grin*

Bravie said...

Yep, dumbest holiday ever. I hate to even call it a holiday. Hrmph.

kim (weltek) said...

Ha! That was entertaining! Thanks, momma!

Anonymous said...

I actually bought mine early, but I still haven't signed them or given them. Ooops.

Puffy said...

*gathers together red construction paper, markers, and doilies*

HistoryDetective said...

I'm with MM. I prefer to write my own greeting. Of course, I do that for every holiday or birthday. I hate the sickly sweet, sappy messages in most cards, so I buy a blank one as often as possible.

Swami said...

Like HD, I buy blank cards and write my own words. I like to buy cards with interesting, usually vintage photos.