For the first time in almost 8 years, I'm seriously thinking about returning to college to finish my degree. I am ONE hour shy of my Associates. Why one hour? I got pregnant prior to my last semester in college. And that one hour I needed was a PE credit. Yeah. PE. How pitiful is that?
So, I've been thinking and tossing it around for awhile now. I don't want to continue on the path I had before. I just can't get excited over being an elementary school teacher any more. My second love, and my "minor" had been Sociology. And I'm seriously thinking that Sociology or Social Work is the path I want to take. I've contacted my previous college for a transcript. I've contacted the local extension of a major university for info on their degree program.
And now? Now I'm scared. Can I really go back and do this? I want to finish my degree. I don't want to be stuck in a dead end job forever. I want to make a difference somewhere. I want to show my children how important college is. But for some irrational reason, I'm skeered. Afraid of failure. I never had this problem at 18. Ten years later, I do.
I know lots of people go back to school. I know lots of people still in school. Why do I view myself differently? Mainly because I'm afraid to interrupt my time with my kids. But, I always said that when my youngest started kindergarten, I'd go back. And that is now. What am I waiting for? It's sure not the winning lotto ticket :) Speaking of which, I guess I better start checking into financial aid packages too.
I can do this, right?
11 comments:
Yes yes...do it...the little ones are getting bigger and now is as good a time as any right?
You know your online peeps will support you hun.
I went back. It isn't that bad. I actually enjoyed it other than being away from home. It paid off in the end.
Of course you can do it!! I think it is partially scary because then you'll have to decide "what you want to be when you grow up" if not an elementary school teacher. I think that social work sounds good, it seems like you would definitely be good at it. As far as being able to go back and get a degree....I'm positive that you can. I think you'd be surprised by how much it doesn't interupt your time with your kids and how much they'll get out of the situation. Having been the kid in this situation, I would say that it didn't hurt my relationship with my dad in any way and was really good for me in a bunch of ways. So...go for it! *smoooches* :)
Of course you can do it, sweetie. But I know where you're coming from. My degree isn't in a field that I am/was interested in. It's pretty much useless. I have friends nagging me all the time about going to school for journalism. Which is a goal I had since the beginning of time. I don't have kids. There's no reason for me not to do it. No rational reason anyway.
But yes! You should definitely do it. You are taking steps towards it already.
Of course you can! At least give it a try.
Yep, you can. I didn't officially finish until my mid-20s.
And now I too need to go back. Think of it as insurance. The kids will also be so proud of you!
Think how good it will feel after you go back. Alll those new things to learn and study. I think you will find it much more interesting (especially sociology)now that you have more life in which to put stuff in context.
I'm not sure if you are at all concerned about being older than your clasmates or not. In my arts classes many students seemed to coming back to school (especially in the evening classes) so I doubt you'd stand out.
Of course, I never plan to leave, so I'm a little biased.
You? Can do it for certain.
Ack! I missed this entry until now. Yes, like everyone has said, please do it! You will not regret getting it, but you might if you don't. I know you can do it. I'd like to see you do it, and perhaps even be the inspiration for me to do so, as well (no pressure, though).
Yes you can. You have everything you need to do it right in your head. *smooch*
My mom went back for her MA at fifty. She had a great time. Granted, she didn't have to manage family life or a job at the same time, but it was scary to start anyway.
Take a big step and do it. You will thank yourself and your kids will thank you. Plus, my guess is they'd get a biiiiiiiiig kick out of watching you do homework.
Yes you can. I went back after 9 years of being out. I actually like it more now than I did then. I am more determined, more focused than what I was before. I only go when Ryan is in school, so really he has more time with me now than what he did when I was working full time.
You always have us to fall back onto for support and encouragement, but for some reason, I think you will do wonderfully.
Post a Comment