Wednesday, November 16

Inquiring minds wanna know....

When do you fill up your gas tank? Before it's empty? At a quarter of a tank? Half a tank? Does it ever run on fumes?

28 comments:

Sonya said...

I try to when mine gets about a quarter low. Especially in the winter and summer. I may have to do it more often, but it doesn't take a long and doesn't seem like it cost as much even thought it does. I know in the old day you and I both always were on fumes going to pick one another up before the bar and having to stop on the way to the bar to fill up. What memories! *giggles*

Bravie said...

When the little red light comes on that tells me to.
Michelle gets mad at me and says it's not good for the, um, something or other. Carb? Intake valve? gas tank? fuel injector? Oh shit, I have no clue. It's bad for something. And also according to her, I shouldn't go 9,000 miles before changing the oil. Oh, and I guess low air in the tires is bad too.

Anonymous said...

I fill up when I've hit around 330 miles. I get about 334, so that gives me a couple to play with.

I do, on occasion, push it and run on fumes. And I also go when the little dinging noise drives me nuts. Or when I'm on the entrance or exit ramp and the car slows down a lot.

Anonymous said...

LOL at Carey.

When I had my first car, I thought you *had* to get the oil changed every 3k, so when my first oil change was at my first 3k. I literally pulled off the road into the first open service station.

arkie said...

I usually try when it's at 1/4 tank, but sometimes it's running on fumes before I do.

Bravie said...

LOL @ Boo and her first oil change.

My oil is like molassys (sp) when they change mine.

yvonne said...

I never let my gas get below 1/4 tank. I think my "get gas" light has gone on maybe once or twice. It's bad for the fuel injector if you get real low. *looks at carey*

Seana said...

I also make sure to fill up the tank when it gets to be around 1/4. We're also good about changing the oil. We figure we can afford the $ for the oil change every couple months a lot more easily than replacing the engine. :-)

~Nutz said...

I run on fumes all the time! Mostly because Nutzgirl will run it dry.

Oil? Oh, do you have to change that? *wink*

Bravie said...

I said injector, Augie. See? I do listen.

mm said...

I try at 1/4 tank, but sometimes it gets lower. I always try to wait it out because if DH is driving it at the time it gets really low, he'll pay. I had to do it myself tonight. :(

Monstah said...

Since my little All Stah has been born I am absolutley paranoid about letting it fall below half a tank. The absolute lowest I let it get is about 1/4 of a tank.

Sonya said...

How is R1 feeling?

momma said...

Okay, I don't feel so bad now. I usually fill up around a 1/4 of a tank. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. The gas station near my house is always about 10 cents a gallon cheaper than in town where I work. So I try to fill up there.

The whole reason I asked? DH actually filled up my gas tank on Sunday and now I need to fill up again.

Rotten1's throat still hurts, but he's okay.

jenbeauty said...

I wait till the last possible moment. I hate buying gas!

Schnookie said...

It's a running joke with DH and I about when to fill up the tank because there are times when the light comes on and I get all panicky and he laughs at me and says we have plenty of gas left. He turns on the car info button which lets us know how many more miles we can drive with the gas that's left. So far we haven't run out. However, I always warn him that should we run out, he's walking to the gas station with the gas jug by himself *grin*

DH and I work together so we usually always commute together.

If he's out of town though, I will always fill up when it reaches a 1/4 of a tank.

I'm still fairly new to pumping gas and still always get nervous. I think I've only done it about 6 times. The first time was funny. My mom was visiting us, and DH was out of town. There was no question that I needed gas but I didn't know how to do it. I stood at the gas pump and asked the guy at the other pump if he could help me out. He was really nice about thankfully. My face was so red LOL.

Oh yeah, I am ALWAYS afraid the car will explode at the gas station.

lights said...

Filling up the car? Um, that's what Dave's for. *grin*

Seriously. I seldom have to get gas because Dave takes care of that. Even before we started commuting together he'd take my car and fill it up. And when I do put gas in my car I ALWAYS go to full service places. A while back when the gas was so high Dave asked me to go fill up before the price went up. I ended up at a self-serve and had to figure out how to pump gas. I'm sure if anyone was watching they'd have peed their pants laughing.

lights said...

*points and laughs at Nookie* Oh, wait...nevermind.

Dave is constantly saying we have plenty of gas. That would be fine if we didn't live so far out in the boonies on a highway that you can drive for half an hour without a gas station. I swear it's a game for him.

Jen said...

I wait until it's almost empty. Lately I've been waiting until the light comes on. I've got to cut that out, I know.

Schnookie said...

*points and laughs at Lightsy* :-)

Full service stations? What's that? I think we found one when we first moved to Georgia 7 years ago. I don't think it's open anymore.

You just reminded me of my embarrassing moment at a full service station. I think I posted this at the "other" place.

Anyhoo, this was in Montreal. I had just got my license to drive (only 10 years ago). I thought I'd be brave and drive to the station myself and get gas. What could go wrong ... it's full service.

Pull up, open the window, and say "filler up". Easy. Ummmm no, I didn't realize I had to pop the gas door for him *DUH*.

Then the guy asks if I want him to check my oil. Confident me says "sure, go ahead". He stands there in the front of the car looking at me. I'm looking at him, thinking, why's he staring at me. Then he starts motioning for me to open the hood. ACK! I didn't know how to do that. He had to come around to the window and show me how to pop the hood (no, that isn't code for anything LOL). Color me red again :-)

At that point I was so confuzzled, it's a wonder I made it home in one piece.

lights said...

*points and laughs at Nookie AGAIN*

I would never do something like that.

Schnookie said...

Heh! At least I know how to cook perogies properly *smirk*

*runs away before she gets whacked*

Aislinn Sirk said...

My mom refuses to let the car get below half full.
When she came to visit, I took out a rental car and misread the gas guague so I thought it was nearly full when it was nearly empty. I noticed this on the highway and heard my mom gasp in horrer. Then I refused to go into the next two gas stations just to taunt her.

I told her that too.

I? am terrible.

Immunegirl said...

Hmmm. What is this gas you speak of?

Coco said...

Fumes. Every freakin' time.

Coco said...

Oh, and *poot*

lights said...

Set your cottage on fire once and people never let you forget it. *catches up to Nookie and whacks her*

Anonymous said...

You know Carey, surprisingly (or not), I have lots of stories like this. :)