Tuesday, October 16

Oh Ewwwwwww!

So I'm checking my email this morning and what should appear in the little news/helpful hints bar but the link to Spam Skillet Casserole. Ewwwww! That just sounds nasty. But even ickier....

Serving Size : 6
Preparation Time :0:00
2 Baking potatoes, cut into 1/8″ slices
1 can SPAM Luncheon Meat, cubed (12 oz)
1 c Thinly sliced carrots
1 c Thinly sliced onions
1/2 c Thinly sliced celery
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2 tb Flour
1 t Coarsely ground pepper
3/4 t Dried whole thyme
1 can No-salt-added green beans-drained (16 oz)
1 can No-salt-added whole tomatoes, drained and chopped (16 oz)
1 can No-salt-added vegetable juice cocktail (5 1/2 oz)
Butter flavor vegetable cooking spray
Cook potatoes in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. In skillet, cook SPAM until browned; remove from skillet. Add carrots to skillet and saute 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add onion, celery, and garlic; saute until vegetables are tender. Combine flour, pepper, and thyme. Stir flour mixture into vegetable mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add SPAM, green beans, tomato, and vegetable juice cocktail. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat; arrange potato slices over SPAM mixture to cover completely. Spray potato slices with vegetable cooking spray. Broil 6″ from heat source 10 minutes or until golden.

ETA: Ah ha! I figured it out. When cleaning out your SPAM folder in gmail, you get SPAM recipes. Now that I clicked on the SPAM Skillet Casserole, I'm presented with SPAM quiche, which sounds even nastier than the above.

8 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

I thought this was about e-mail SPAM and was very confused. Maybe Bravie will make this recipe.

MM said...

*snort*

Spam looks like canned dog food. Well, the cheapest kind of canned dog food.

Breezy said...

*gag*

frodis said...

I think it's funny to go through all that effort to make something with Spam.

You could make that recipe with ground beef. I suppose.

momma said...

Ack! They just gave me a recipe for SPAM breakfast burritos. *hurl*

You have a point there, Frodis...hm...

mtw said...

Oooh, I've been looking for a few new recipes. :-)

Still looking. ;-)

Bravie said...

I might make it. I love Spam

arkie said...

I like Spam sometimes. One of my favorite Spam dishes is to cut up potatoes, bell peppers and Spam into strips and fry them. Oh, and you need lots of black pepper.