Thursday, August 3

Electrocuting the Cat...

Not smart, peeps. Not smart at all. Please inform your kittens and cat children that this is not fun.

Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning, apparently, my two year old cat felt the need to chew through a lamp wire behind the couch. I didn't realize it until Wednesday night.

Wednesday morning, I got up and took my shower. Normally, by the time I get out of the shower, she's winding around my legs whining for her breakfast. She wasn't. I looked at her food bowl and saw she still had food. Odd, but whatever. I finished dressing and whatnot and went to work. DH was home yesterday, so I figured he'd feed her when she got hungry again. He didn't see her all day. I got home last night and the cat wasn't in her usual welcoming spot. Odd, but again...she's a cat and cats can be bizarre at times. About 15 mins after I got home, she comes creeping out of Rotten2's room, crouched down low. I picked her up and the smell hit me. It was like super magnified bad morning breath after a massive drunk. I looked at her and saw puss just oozing off her mouth and chin. What.the.fuck. DH and I cleaned her up and started examining her and realized that both sides of her mouth (but not the middle of the mouth) were oozing. We pried her mouth open and there is a diagonal line across her tongue and the entire tip of her tongue is whitish and oozing a bit. At this point, DH and I both started freaking out and I nearly cried. We cleaned her a bit more and rinsed her mouth with mouthwash. Amazingly enough, she barely flinched.

After 2 hours of research on the internet and a call to the vet, we couldn't figure out what the hell she'd gotten into. She's an indoor only cat. DH and I were both feeling very helpless and not sure what to do. I went to the store and bought her some canned cat food, unsure of whether or not she'd eat it. Got home and she more or less licked the juice...but it was something. She was also meowing and walking around...so she was feeling better.

As it got dark, DH turned on a couple of lamps in the living room. Or tried to. The one by the couch and his desk wouldn't come on, so he pulled out the couch to make sure it was still plugged in. That's when he found the cord...chewed clean in half.

*sigh*

My poor kitty. Stupid cat.

22 comments:

mm said...

OMG! That is awful. I have never once feared my cats would do that, but now I'll be aware. Poor little thing!

*kitty smooches*

Seana said...

Oh, poor cat! That's awful!

I used to let my guinea pig run aroudn in my room and I was always afraid she'd do something like that. In fact, she did chew a couple cords, but never all the way through.

Good thoughts for kitty.

mtw said...

Yikes! Can the lamp be repaired???

Nevermind.
{{{KITTY HUGS}}}

Schnookie said...

Poor kitty! Thank goodness he's still alive. I've never thought of my cats doing that. Eek. I think mine spend too much time scratching the furniture and carpets they don't have time to think about chewing on electrical cords.

*HUGS*

By the way, you washed your kitty's mouth out with mouthwash? How the heck did you manage that?

kim (weltek) said...

*sniffle* Poor kitty! They are so helpless & do stuff where they don't know any better. You two did good cleaning her up by yourselves. *sends scritches to momma's kitty*

*whacks* MTW

Swami said...

What a terrible thing! But I am glad that she lived through it. Towards the end of the story I was starting to fear you were going to find her body behind the couch.

Puffy said...

I thought she was going to find the body, too. I got tears in myh eyes, reading your story. Poor baby. I hope she recovers fully.

My cat (Puff) used to chew cords like electric blanket and lamp cords. We put something on it, I think it was called bitter apple. It had a bad taste and it stopped her from chewing. There are products out there to prevent cats from chewing.

~Nutz said...

Oh no! Poor kitty! I hope she'll be OK. *sends good kitty thoughts*

I've heard of this danger with kitties. This is a good reminder to be very careful!

momma said...

I'm about to leave work, but from DH's phone call earlier today, it's not looking good. :(

momma said...

Kitty Update:

Tonight she is bleeding from her wounds and tongue...not bad, but it's not scabbing over either :( She's refused food and water most of the day and is barely meowing. *sigh* We've told the kids she might not make it. Especially now that she won't really let us get close enough to medicate her.

Nookie, we put the mouthwash in a syringe and sort of squirted it in her mouth and on her lips. When she got too wary of the syringe, we soaked a cotton ball in it and quickly wiped her mouth a couple of times.

*sad Momma*

Puffy said...

Oooh, are you going to take her to the vet? Maybe he could save her. *hugs Momma and the kids*

~Nutz said...

Oh no! :(

*sends more good kitty thoughts*

Bravie said...

*sobs* Oh no!!!! Did you take her to the vet? This breaks my heart. I had this happen to another friend years ago but it was a different electrical cord and the cat was electrocuted right then and there. The fact that she made it may be a good sign that she will be okay?
*big kitty smooches* I hope she is okay. *hugs*

Swami said...

I hope she gets better!

I think most animals with a serious injury instinctively are very quiet and lay low. It is probably better if she doesn't eat until her mouth heals a bit. I would just offer her water and not worry too much about the food for a few days..

momma said...

I've talked to the vet and he says to continue to offer food and water...baby food, canned cat food, etc. She's not taking any of it. In fact, at this point, she refuses to move.

The vet did say we could bring her in and he could give her antibiotics, but couldn't give us any guarantees because it's her mouth. At this point he says that unless we are prepared to spend anywhere from $100 to $1000 in the next month, it's best to just wait and see. She could end up in an animal hospital hooked to an IV and still die. I just can't bring myself to do that to her. If she's going to pass, then I want her home with us.

mm said...

{{big hugs}}

I'm so sorry momma. I'll be sending good vibes to the cat and your family.

Puffy said...

Perhaps she's in shock? My kitty sends loving headbutts to your kitty.

~Nutz said...

Still hoping the kitty is OK!

*sending more {{{hugs}}} and some scritches*

Aislinn Sirk said...

I'm afraid I laughed at the original post (cats can be sooo stupid), but now I'm a bit worried for your kitty.

Sometimes they just need to sleep and get better. Not eating is reasonably common in sick animals.

Hope she gets better.

momma said...

No worries Bob...after I realized what she'd done, I laughed at her stupidity for a second.

*sigh*

She's sleeping. A lot. Still barely drinking and not eating.

Syren said...

{{{{big hugs}}}} for the momma family and kitty

Schnookie said...

Ahhhhhhhh. Sending your little kittie some good healing thoughts Momma. I sure do hope she gets better. Poor little thing. :-(