Monday, May 1

Job Interview

So today was my job interview at the hospital. I called in sick to work because I just couldn't schedule another vacation day right now. I got there about 30 minutes early and was able to start some of the pre-interview testing. Did fairly well, if I do say so myself. Then I met one of the HR ladies. She was very nice, discussed benefits, the company, and other details with me and asked a lot of background questions of me. I hate "Tell Me Three Things about Yourself ..." questions. She seemed okay with my answers there, though. We talked a bit about her daughter, who is the same age as Rotten2 and her two older sons - one of them is in the Marines. She walked me over to the main building and introduced me to the guy who would be my manager if I am hired. He and I talked for a long time about the job, qualifications, experiences and personalities. The funniest question of all came after he told me the previous hire lasted for 3 weeks and a day. Mind you, I've walked through 80% of this department and seen the layout of it all on the way to his office. Would an open air environment bother me? I was dumbfounded. Totally stupefied for a minute, until I realized he was serious. Of course, the next question was almost as good...does certain "language" bother me when used in the context of a sentence on rare occasions, whether directed to me or another person or thing. I almost laughed at that too. Instead, I expanded on our slight humor we had going at this point and threw my hands up and said forget it, I just cannot handle that type of stress. He laughed, I laughed.

This job sounds wonderful. The lady I would be replacing, if offered the job, left her position to move up the ladder a bit. So she's there, would be my trainer and seems very nice. I really, really want this job. I was the last interview and it's between me and one other person, who is as different from me as night and day. Yep, that was the manager's exact phrase. I'm not sure what exactly that means, but we are both qualified candidates who are causing him extreme stress over which would be best for the job.

Wow.

I will know something tomorrow.

Double wow.

31 comments:

momma said...

Oh, did I mention that this interview lasted for about 2 1/2 hours? That has to be a good sign, right?

Surveysez said...

Good luck wishes winging their way to you.

I hate interviews with a passion.

Bravie said...

Coooool. It sounds like it went great. *smooch*

~Nutz said...

*crossing fingers & toes* for you!!!

Swami said...

*fingers crossed for Momma*

Rose said...

Hooray for texas!

I hope you get it!!!!!1

Breezy said...

Different as night and day? Well then she's old, tall and brunette... while you're the cute young blonde. *grin*

*smooch* Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!

Does the open floor plan mean no blogging and stuff during work? *head tilt*

Lasann said...

Certain words in a sentence was it:

I hate this fucking place

or

His penis is swollen with fluid (being a health place and all)?

momma said...

Certain words like "Damn, this is awful" or something to that affect.

Keep those fingers crossed!!!

momma said...

Oh, and the open floor plan is large cubicles, just with no roof on them.

Coco said...

I am excited! Any news?

Monstah said...

I am totally sending good thoughts your way. And if that does not do the trick, I will send over some of my thugs and they will have a little sit down with the manager and ecplain to him why it might be in his best interest to hire you.

Ba-da bing, ba da boom. <-- sound a body makes in the trunk of a Cadilac.

kim (weltek) said...

So in other words the other candidate is boring frump and you are fun & hip. My vote is for you. I'll call the guy if you'd like. :-)

Congrats on a great interview! Sounds very promising!

Zombs said...

Ooooh sounds good to me!

Now what would you be doing here?

mtw said...

Good lock momma, I hope you get the job. Look at it this way. If they aren't smart enough to hire you, then you wouldn't have really wanted to work there anyway. Who wants to work for a moron?

momma said...

Well, crap. I have heard NOTHING today. I'm hoping they just haven't made a decision. *pout*

As much as I keep telling myself that it will work out for the best either way, I just can't get behind that thought. This would be so freaking perfect!

mtw and zbaby, it's a Construction Project Assistant position for the largest hospital in the area. Benefits are amazing, hours are perfect, and it's in the area that DH and I want to move to.

yvonne said...

*crosses fingers and toes for Momma*

It will work out for you, this I truly believe!

*smooch*

Puffy said...

I think the job is in the bag.

mm said...

*crossing fingers with everyone else*

*smooches* Momma!

Buggy said...

Oh hoping hoping.
I hope you hear soon, waiting sucks.

Good thoughts your way.

kim (weltek) said...

Nothing yet? *taps foot* Call them this afternoon if you haven't heard anything. Tell them your coworkers at blogger need to know.

thndrkttn said...

I didn't see this yesterday! Good positive hiring thoughts!

Having just hired someone new for our other office, we thought we were going to be able to make a decision within the same week as the interviews. It ended up taking us two weeks to decide between 4 candidates.

I? Would have hired you on the spot!

Schnookie said...

*anxiously waits to hear from Momma*

Swami said...

Ack! Waiting sucks!

*re-crosses fingers even tighter*

lights said...

Sending you lots of good luck thoughts Momma! Having just been through this waiting game myself I know how difficult it can be. Hang in there. No news is good news.

*crosses fingers, toes, legs and eyes for Momma*

arkie said...

Well? Have you heard anything?

Bravie said...

No word yet?

mtw said...

Dammit, now I'm pessimistic. Why don't they call? Don't they know how many people are putting their lives on hold for this?

Grrr.

Those idiots. If they don't hire momma now, they'll just have to grovel in six months when the other lady doesn't work out. Serves them right.

momma said...

LOL I had that same thought last night mtw.

I haven't heard anything, so I'm figuring I didn't get the job. I'll wait til tomorrow (Friday) and call to verify.

It's all okay though. Whatever is supposed to happen, will. Right?

mm said...

You're right, Momma. If it didn't work out, then it probably *shouldn't* have.

{{hugs}}

*fingers still crossed*

Sonya said...

I didn't know yall were wanting to move. Where to?

Good luck. Did you follow up with a thank you letter for that time. When I've hired people and couldn't decide between a couple of them and then receive a follow letter from one of them it makes that person impress me more. Just a thought to put you above the other candidate in their eyes.