Thursday, July 13

Another growing up moment...

So this past week, the kids were at the lake with the ex-in-laws....And Paw and Daddy decided to take Rotten1's training wheels off her bike. She rode it a bit with lots and lots of help then decided to wait until she got home to have me teach her because they were boys. Or something.

Monday night, we started around 7:15 or so. Several (and by several, I'm talking 40-50) trips across the yard later, she had managed to go about 50 feet by herself plus a running start of about 10 feet with me holding one handlebar. By 8:30, she was going an average of 75-90 feet at a time with about a 5 foot hold from me. And then it happened. The big crash. Not only did she manage to jam one handlebar into her chest, but she knocked the chain completely off the bicycle. Of course, this was better than running into the pool. Or so she said after she stopped crying. Then she was madder than hell because I couldn't get the chain back on her bike and it was starting to get dark. *grin* Of course, this resulted in a phone call to DH immediately to ensure that he would fix her bike chain as soon as he got home from work in the morning.

Tuesday night, we did much of the same as Monday. Rotten2 was riding further and stopping better, but still not starting off on her own. Then the Rottens went to play next door and took their bikes. Well, all of a sudden, Rotten2 realizes we aren't there to help her get started. Instead of pushing her bike home, she takes off! On her own! Yay!

Here it is Thursday and you can't keep her off the thing. She's doing great!

13 comments:

Swami said...

Ah, the sweet freedon of bicycle independence! Soon you will have no idea where she is half the time.

mm said...

Aww, that's so sweet! It's so sad, but exciting when they grow up! You're such a good momma!

Zombs said...

*wipes tears away*

I am such a sap for stuff like this. You should get her one of those little cakes that say "Congratualtions on Learning to ride a bike!"

Bravie said...

Awwwww. Yay for rotten. *smooch*

Breezy said...

Yay!!!! Rotten2!!! Like Swami said, now you'll never know where she is half the time. She's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Schnookie said...

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom! Woohoo!

A touching story Momma.

Syren said...

Awwww...

Its so wonderful when they acomplish something on their own, and the pride as a parent that you feel.

I agree with Zombs...cake time.

Immunegirl said...

Awwwwww.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I can remember riding a two wheeler without my mom holding on. I was pedaling and pedaling and thinking my mom running beside me and then I looked up and she wasn't there.

The utter freedom.

Puffy said...

Bicycle now....tomorrow the car.

Glowie said...

Awwww.

Did you see the episode of Friends when Ross was trying to teach Phoebe how to ride a bike? *giggle*

Bravie said...

I get irritated with that episode, Glowie.

Years ago, Michelle told me that she never had an easy bake oven growing up. I thought that was so wrong. So the next day I went out and bought one for her. She laughed and told me I was silly.

Then that episode of Friends aired and when Ross bought her the bike, Michelle got all teary eyed and said that that was so sweet of hime to do and how he was so nice.
*gasp* I reminded her that I did the same thing for her (just not a bike) and that she laughed and said I was silly.
So now I make a sarcastic remark to her everytime we see that episode. :)

Seana said...

Oh, hooray for Rotten2!

That's a great story and for her to progress so quickly is wonderful.

My DD still can't ride a bike by herself and she is WAY too big for training wheels. I can't keep up with her, so I'm not sure how, or frankly if, she'll learn.