Tuesday, July 25

China and Crystal

Here's part of the reason for going over to my aunt's house this weekend - my mom and dad's crystal and china from their wedding in April 1973. My aunt (and grandma) kept it all and even added to the collection over the years since my mom's passing in 1980. Up until this past week, I had no idea that anyone still had this stuff.


Segovia #2216 by Noritake

Fostoria - Debutante Gray

I haven't even begun to take inventory of it all. All I know is there are three huge Rubbermaid containers filled to the brim, several pages of order forms from 1990 and handwritten inventory that gives me a 12 place setting of china and almost 12 of each of about 8 different sizes of the crystal. Plus tea cups, saucers, salt and pepper shakers, creamers, sugar bowl and who knows what else.

Now I have to find a place to put all of it...

13 comments:

Zombs said...

Well I hope you are gonna serve me some Texas BBQ on that fancy china.

*ties napkin around neck*

They are beautiful. I love the glasses especially!

mm said...

They are gorgeous! It's nice that they are not only family pieces, but happen to be so pretty, too.

Breezy said...

Wow! Those are beautiful! You definately need something to show off those pieces.

*smooch*

~Nutz said...

I love the glasses too!

How nice that they were kept it all together for you.

kim (weltek) said...

Beautiful! How nice of your aunt's to have kept this all & give it to you.

My dad has both my grandmother's sets of china & they are there for the taking when I want them. I have no space for them yet. Someday I'll get a china cabinet or something, I supppose. Let me know if you find any good deals. ;-)

Dinner is at 6:00, right?

Swami said...

Party at Momma's!

The china looks lovely. I am sure you will treasure it. Can you put it in the dishwasher? (I can't tell from the photo if it is gilded or not.) (heh. I typed gelded & had to fix it.)

My mother had her Mother's china (Limoges, made in a factory that burned down during WW1.) My sister Carole got it when mom passed away.

When I asked about it during my visit she said she had sold it! I was stunned! For $600 bucks or something. I would have bought it from her, but did she ask me? No! Stupid sister!

Surveysez said...

Just beautiful.

Immunegirl said...

Oooh. Pretty. :)

kim (weltek) said...

Swami's story reminded me:

My coworker went to a garage sale where a young woman was selling her mother's china quite cheaply saying "me and sister have no use for it." My coworker bought it & gave them her name & numbers saying "If you ever want it back, you can get ahold of me. Someday you might appreciate having it."

lights said...

Very nice Momma! I didn't get china when we got married so when my Mom got new china for her retirement she gave me the china she got for her wedding. It's old and not in the best of shape but it was my Mom's and that means more to me than any new stuff ever could.

Miss you sweetie!

arkie said...

How wonderful to have such a lovely family heirloom. They're gorgeous!

Puffy said...

How sweet! They're beautiful and I'm sure you're so happy to have them.

Swami, my sister still beats your sister. I will blog about it one day.

Bravie said...

Beautiful china. I like that pattern very much. I got my china and china cabinet passed down from my grandmother. Of course, I'm such a child that my china cabinet is full of shot glasses and only 1 piece of the china. :)
The rest of my china is stored in the bottom.
I really do love that pattern though. Not that that eclipses the sentiment of the china though.
*smooch*