Tuesday, January 2

Today's Challenge

So, as part of my baby steps to quitting, I signed up for a daily newsletter that is part of a online stop smoking support group thingie. The newsletter usually has a "Quit Tip" that is supposed to encourage the quitting thought process. Many of the ones I've read have been "old news" or very few that have made me just roll my eyes. The thing I like about them is they aren't too hokey. And the celebrate your milestones. Today's email has had me thinking, though. It asked you to make a list of your fears related to quitting smoking (ie. not hanging out with your friends, loss of your "image", etc).

The more I think about it, the more of a list I've actually compiled. At first glance, I was kinda like "Oh what a moronic excersize", but....well.....

5. Not remembering to take the dog outside to do her business
4. Losing 30-45 mins a day at work to bullshit with my smoker friends
3. Nothing to replace the cigarette in my hand
2. Lack of stress relief
1. Boredom/Nothing to do when I need a moment of peace

14 comments:

Bravie said...

Keep up the good work, Momma. *smooch*

Puffy said...

chew on a toothpick

mm said...

Good luck Momma! I admire your efforts so much!

Glowie said...

yeah. Losing my break time at work is a big problem.

*smoooooooooch*

momma said...

*SIGH*

I've cut back. Instead of the normal 4 cigarettes between getting up and 8 am, I smoked 1 1/2 today. I'm feeling quite lost.

Now. If my damn doctor would call me back, it would be extremely helpful.

kim (weltek) said...

That was a good exercise. Baby steps...you are doing better, hon. Keep up the good effort!

I should do the same about weight loss.

Glowie said...

Every step in the right direction is a big one... no matter how small it may seem. You can do it, love. *smooch*

I tell ya, driving is ridiculously difficult for me. Shawn drives for a living. I can't imagine what he's going through. I'm at about 28 hours now. And counting.

momma said...

I hear ya, Glowie. Driving to work for 20 minutes about killed me. That's where the 1 1/2 cigarettes come in. *giggle* Do you know how stupid I feel saying I only smoked half a cigarette? It's like I just couldn't smoke the whole thing. *rolls eyes*

Poor Shawn....Yikes.

kim (weltek) said...

The good news it that you have hobbies to help you get through this, right? You can become super crafty woman.

Schnookie said...

I never could smoke while driving a car so that wasn't a big hurdle for me.

Good luck Momma. You certainly have the right idea by taking baby steps and I like that idea of a daily newsletter.

Swami said...

Why would you forget to take the dog out?

Swami <--- was never a smoker so she doesn't understand the fine details of things.

momma said...

*snort*

Swami, I don't smoke in my house, so the dog always goes out to do her business when I go smoke. About the time it takes me to smoke is the amount of time she takes to poop. Therefore, if I don't go outside to smoke, I might forget she has needs.

momma said...

By the way, I have smoked, at this point, a total of 8 cigarettes so far today. I average between 18-20 per day. I'm quite proud of myself right now. If I only smoke 1-2 more tonight, I will have reached today's goal of cutting my normal smokes in half. If I can continue it through Friday night, I will cut the 8-10 per day in half.

I also stopped at Target on my way home and bought Goldfish, granola bars, cereal bars, and 50 pieces of Extra Wintergreen gum.

I AM GOING TO DO THIS!

Monstah said...

Momma, let's say you left California and you are driving to Boston. Your car breaks down in Chicago. After it is fixed, do you go allllllllll the way back to California to start your drive again? The answer is! No!

It is progress not perfection...as long as you have pure notions it will come.