Most of Sunday was spent down at the volunteer fire station where DH spends much of his "free" time. The kids and I headed there to help collect donations, organize them and pack them into trucks to take to a couple of designated refugee temporary homes. Four ambulances were filled. Over $200 in cash was donated. More people promised to be back on Labor Day with more stuff.
At 3pm Sunday afternoon, the county fairgrounds called to say please hold all donations. They had more than enough to begin assisting the 200+ people there. They wanted to divert some of it to places that had not received their slated evacuees yet or any donations. Reunion Arena in Dallas has halted donations temporarily. As have a few other places in the area that I've heard about so far. Most are saying to give them this week to find out what else is needed and go from there. So for now, our department voted to go with my suggestion and send what we're holding to a local women's shelter. And as more comes in, we're holding it and waiting.
I cannot believe the sheer volume of shoes, toys, clothes, coats, linens, towels, diapers, toothpaste, shampoo, etc that I sorted on Sunday. Our county is not by any stretch a rich area. In fact, I'd venture to guess that 50% of the county lives below the national poverty line. And to see these people bring in brand new toiletries, barely used clothes and toys to aid in the evacuees' help. It was a wonderful thing.
And the best part of the day? Seeing an 8 year old little girl for a second time. She and her mom and brought in several huge bags of clothes and toys. They came back about an hour or two later (time seemed to stand still Sunday) because one toy had fallen out of the bag in the backseat of their car.
There are still good people out there. And they surround us all.
2 comments:
So glad to hear it. My daughter wanted to give her shoes but I don't know where to send them...so we gave to the salvation army.
I wish more of these stories were making the news.
*smooch*
Post a Comment