I don't know how my hubby is dealing with all of this. The hurricane relief efforts and evacuations are about to drive me insane. I don't know how much more I can take. Depression and sadness seem to overcome my days - or at least the few quiet moments I have alone. The stuff that used to be a big deal doesn't even concern me anymore. I can't focus on the crap that surrounds me - it's all so freaking trivial.
Last night Larry came home from the fire station and said that the Chief has been out at the fairgrounds every day, and many nights since Saturday. The bad news: the city (our county seat) is only providing one full time police man for the over 200 evacuees. There are 5 known registered sex offenders, 25 children, many women, and quite a few men. The good news: All is well, most are treating the grounds as they would their homes, many are cleaning up continuously, several are helping repair things that have needed repair, and many are hopeful about getting a job quickly and moving on. Edited to add: It appears our county, who was so willing to take in these evacuees has now realized the efforts are more than they can, or are willing to, handle. And since the area volunteer fire departments did such a wonderful job over the weekend of organizing and making things happen, the county is just going to let the fire departments continue to handle it all. This decision was made the day the City ran an article talking about all the things the county would be doing and how appreciative the City and the County were of the local fire deparments and thanking them for a great job. And the City and County were in contact with the Red Cross and Salvation Army to come in to aid. And, also realized after the article, the Red Cross and Salvation Army are quite busy and cannot relieve the City and County of their duties for about 30 days. Joy. Stupid fucking councilmen for a city I don't live in. So...looks like Larry and I and many others will continue to volunteer our time. At the moment, it appears that meals are taken care of for the next couple of weeks.
So...I've turned off the steady CNN feed and tried to distance myself from the reports a bit. Today at lunch, we are hosting a few of the local families from the hotels for a barbeque. Keep me in your thoughts - I'm going to need some strength to get through this one.
10 comments:
{{HUGS}} to you momma. What can I do? Can I send anything down to you? You can PM me at the other place or I can give you an e-mail.
Honestly, I don't see why the Red Cross can't get a few volunteers there. Cash should be no problem. It can be very confusing to understand how they operate.
Thanks sweetie. Right now, a sanity break is in order. And hopefully, if things go right, I may have one of those this weekend. :)
I think part of the problem is that our county seat, where these 200 folks are, is almost 100 miles from Dallas. And it's under control. So there's no "immediate" need like there would be for the thousands in Dallas and other major cities. But, I'm just guessing.
Do you like scary books? I have a bunch I can send you, you can lose yourself in a book for an hour atleast. *smooch* Take care of yourself and give your hubby and kids lots of love. Their love will keep you sane.
Tonight? I order you to take a bubble bath. Even if you can only soak for 5-10 minutes. You do it!
Scary books? Like how scary?
I understand sanity breaks. Do for yourself and your family. Still trying to keep my perspective here.
I also need to find out if any survivors are coming to Columbus. I have not heard and amazed that so many cities up north here are receiving these people.
((((((hugs))))))) Momma. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do, either in the matter of seriously being helpful or just being goofy and cheering you up. You are awesome in all that you do. I don't know how you do it. *smooooooooches*
Goofy! I need goofy!
I don't do goofy. I am a very serious person and I don't like to goof around. I'm sorry that I can't help you in that department.
*moons Momma*
*gives Bush a wedgie*
Let me know if you need a crate of poutine sauce.
Poutine sauce, eh, Coco?
*spanks Carey*
avxecuek - the new replacement for Viagra
Post a Comment