I just spoke to DH. He's about halfway back from Houston. Should hit Dallas around midnight. First,an update - he ran into one of the nurses who he'd handed off the chart to. The chart. Of the man left behind in New Orleans. The only survivor in that particular hospital. She recognized him. And told him to expect a phone call from the man's lawyers. *cue my jaw hitting the floor and my heart pounding* Remember, technically DH and the others with him kidnapped this man across state lines. Yes, major medical hospitals legal teams advised them, but still...this has been a huge fear up to this point. Well, turns out the man is doing great and has been reunited with family in Chicago. And they are suing the shit out of the hospital, the doctors and nurses for abandoning him. DH is the hero of the day, in this man's eyes. *cue semi-normal, if slightly scared breathing* All will be fine. DH may be called to testify in this man's case against the hospitals. But NO ONE will be pressing charges where DH and his co-medics are concerned. Whew. *Giant sigh of relief here*
Now, on to the Hurricane at hand - Miss Rita. As of 9:30 CST, the National Weather Service has changed Rita's expected path slightly. She is now expected to land just west of Galveston. Which means that Galveston, Houston and areas east will be the hardest hit. Which is where my brother and his mom and step dad live. I've put in a call to him. If he plans to evacuate (which I'm really really hoping he does), I'm going to tell him to get his ass up here. Altho, at 22, he's invincible. *rolls eyes* He slept through the one and only hurricane he's ever lived through. Okay, so he was a whopping 5 months old at the time :)
And, with the slight change of Rita, her upgraded winds are now sitting at 175mph sustained with gusts up to 200 mph. Category 5. Worse than Katrina ever thought about being. And my house sits directly in her path only 300 or so miles inland. Rita is approx 300 miles wide. It's entirely possible that she could be a Cat 2 or slightly possible Cat 3 storm when she reaches the Dallas area. *cue Momma's freak out* DH and I are discussing evacuation plans via cell phone tonight. Depending on the next 24-48 hours, I may very well leave my house, as well. I don't want to do it. I will cry. I will bawl. But, I will survive. We live on the edge of Tornado Alley. And in all honesty, I don't know that my home can survive 70-80 mph winds. Right now, everything is speculation. But, I'm beginning to prepare myself for the worst. I'll be packing a few important papers and miscellaneous items tomorrow night, more than likely. The kids are supposed to spend this weekend with their dad. If I do leave, I'll be picking them up first. DH will be staying here. As he put it, someone has to be around to pick up the pieces. And he wasn't talking about our house. Sometimes, I hate the firefighter and medic that flows through his veins. The kids and I, if we leave, will head up to the farm. There's a tornado shelter and the ability to generate power and food for up to two weeks if needed.
I hate this. I don't want to have to deal with this at all. Hopefully, it won't be as awful as they are saying it could get. But, at this point, we are dealing with the 3rd largest hurricane in recorded history. Anything could happen.
EDITED TO ADD: As of Friday @ 11 am, here is Rita's projected landfall
23 comments:
Stay safe.
My thoughts go out to you, your family, and that wonderful husband that you have.
Good luck and please, please be safe. You, the rottens and your hero DH are in my thoughts. (((((((((hugs))))))))))
UPDATE #1:
It appears that over night, Rita has lessened a bit. Her winds are at 170 mph, instead of 175. The good news however, is most computer models are showing that we will only get Tropical Storm or Tropical Depression type winds. I can deal with winds up to 60 mph. That's a good thunderstorm around here. *grin* The down side to the over night changes? Looks like she's supposed to stall out over the Dallas/East Texas area. Flooding. Joy. But now, I'm feeling a tad bit more relaxed about it all.
Been thinking about you babe!! Please be safe and tell that husband of yours to not get hurt being the hero!
My hubby's aunt, uncle and cousins w/families in tow left Houston yesterday morning.
You can come stay with us in Ohio. I will make room!
*looks around* where's my comment from last night?
*hug* stay safe!
Momma! You get your ass out of there if it gets bad or even looks like this thing is going to sneeze on you! We all want you safe! *smooch*
*great big hug*
CNN was playing on the TV in the donor clinic today. The names of all our Texas peeps kept running through my head.
It's great that your DH isn't getting sued. But you had me going there for a minute.
Stay safe.
Hopefully you won't lose power too! The tornado thing is scaring me though!
Stay safe!
Stay safe, momma, and keep us posted!
{hugs}
Hi Momma, I have been thinking of you all day, honey. Stay safe. And PLEASE check in as SOON as you can.
Count me inas one of those who has been thinking about you all day. I came over to your blog as soon as I logged onto the computer today. Be safe. And we're all so proud of your hubby!
Hey, Where is my post? It disappeared too?
Hugs Momma, stay safe and I'm thinking of you and your family.
Best of Luck, Momma! I need you to be safe, or I will just lose IT!!!
Prayers and {hugs} to you, your rottens, your DH, and your family!
Update #2:
My brother is safe in Austin, partying on 6th Street with his friends and talking about tubing down the Guadelupe River. *grin* Maybe I did do something right with that kid brother of mine.
My dad has chosen to ride it out in Houston. He's fairly safe...I guess. The old man has weathered worse things in life than this, so...we'll see how it plays out. I'm worried, but I also know my dad.
As for us, we're hanging in their. Larry seems to think he'll be doing a run or two today. Not sure though since it could get ugly down there any time this afternoon/evening. We're on the east side of Dallas. It appears that if Rita tracks like she's supposed to, we're going to get quite a bit of rain and flooding. Winds are supposed to be between 30-50 mph. Not too bad, really. That's a good thunderstorm for us. The thing that scares me most? The tornado threat. We're sitting pretty well in the edge of Tornado Alley. But, we've got a fire truck in the driveway and places to go to safety in a hurry.
*hugs* to you all. It's all going to be okay. We may lose power, and water, but other than that - we should be fine.
Thanks for continuing to update us momma. I am thinking of your dad.
Keep the updates coming!
I worry.
UPDATE #3:
Not much new to report. Here's the 11am report from CNN.
Top wind speed: near 135 mph; slight decrease from earlier advisories.
Saffir-Simpson scale status: Between Category 4 and Category 3 (Category 4 is 131-155 mph); slight weakening is possible before landfall... Rita still expected to come ashore as a major hurricane. CNN Weather forecasts Rita will make landfall as a Category 3.
Size of storm: Hurricane-force winds extend up to 85 miles from the center, and tropical storm-force winds extend up to 205 miles.
Estimated landfall: Early Saturday between Galveston, Texas, and the Texas-Louisiana border.
So, what does this mean? Basically, those in Houston are fairly safe. Those in Galveston, not so much.
UPDATE #4:
From Yahoo! News:
Colley said he expected the entire city of Port Arthur to go underwater with an 18- to 22-foot (6- to 7- meter) storm surge caused by Rita's "tsunami effect."
"We could expect probably sustained hurricane winds, beginning at midnight tonight, for 16 hours, an incredible storm," Colley said of Texas' three southeasternmost counties.
The region also should expect an "onslaught" of medium-sized tornadoes overnight. Northeastern Texas should expect up to 25 inches of rain, causing flooding around Tyler, Texas.
Conditions were expected to started deteriorating around mid-afternoon in far southeastern Texas.
Tyler is roughly an hour south-southeast of my house. I'm basically the halfway point between Dallas and Tyler. And they are saying Dallas may escape a lot of the rain and flooding. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to my area.
UPDATE #4:
Well, Rita's now a Cat 3 with max winds of 125 mph. Everything else seems to look about the same as the previous update.
The only real change is the clouds that have begun to roll in and a bit of wind has picked up. The counties next to us (within 15 miles of my house) are under flood watches and warnings for the weekend.
And in a bit of sad news, the bus explosion? Happened all because the bus' brakes got hot and the friction cause the bus to catch on fire. Which caused the people's oxygen tanks to explode, fueling the fire even more. 24 died, 14 (including the driver) were injured.
Do you have power still Momma? You OK?
Hope everything is ok! *hugs*
UPDATE #6 (since I did two #4s):
Hey ya'll....I feel seriously cheated! We got about an inch or so of rain and about 12 hours of 30-40 mp winds and that.was.it. The only casualties in the area? Our neighbor's tree fell across our little road and a couple of grass fires in our fire district yesterday.
No power loss, not even a flicker. DH's dad got around 3 inches of rain - about an hour north-northeast of us.
Good news, Momma! Good news, indeed.
Post a Comment