Monday, January 30

Handwriting Analysis

An article on the MSN front page today got me thinking about this again...as did Kim's post on re-inventing yourself. When I was younger, I used to totally re-invent my handwriting. The last several years, I have made minor changes to the way I write certain letters, but I tend to fall into the same old predictable handwriting I've had since college.

So, have you ever wonder what your handwriting says about you? A lot, a graphologist would say--and chances are, not all of it would be pretty.

To give you a taste of the messages you may be sending every time you write a note, we've put together a list of ten handwriting secrets in the graphologist's sack. Be warned, though: Graphology is too complex to be boiled down into universal nuggets. So, take these with a grain of salt (and don't break out your prison flip-flops just yet).

1. Are your Us and Ws rounded on their bottoms? You're sensitive and maybe poetic.
2. Do you cross your Ts in the middle or at the top? The lower you cross your T, the less ambition you have.
3. Do you loop your Cs at the top? Then, to quote Carly Simon, you're so vain.
4. Are your As and Os tightly closed? Perhaps you're hiding something.
5. Do your letters slant every which way? If so, then yikes. Only 10 percent of the general population has a wobbly slant--compared with 70 to 80 percent of convicted felons.
6. Do you have the "felon's claw"? It's another hallmark of the criminal, and it occurs when you bring a letter straight down, then attach a claw-shaped curve to its end--say when you're writing the lowercase y.
7. Is your signature different from your regular handwriting? Then perhaps you're putting on an act.
8. Do the connecting swoops between your letters droop? Maybe you have a martyr complex, and are carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders.
9. Is your handwriting spiky and angular? Relax. There's no need to be so tense.
10. Are your letters a bit squatty? If they're biggest in the middle zone, and don't extend much up or below the baseline, then you're perhaps a bit childish. The Disney logo, based on Walt Disney's handwriting, is a good example of this.

16 comments:

Zombs said...

You have lovely writing.

I can write nicely but I have to think about it. When I don't I am a little sloppy. DH has the same handwriting as me only his is much neater all the time.

Breezy said...

I don't write in cursive, except for my signature. What does that mean?

momma said...

Breezy, see #7

This little shy, timid, mouse girl thing? It's an act.

Breezy said...

*squeak*

Sonya said...

I'm going to check out this sight. Thanks for adding it.

mm said...

Yikes! I'm just glad we can only type, here. I might have multiple personalities, after reading all that!

Sonya said...

Momma, I'm supose to get Carey's email from you. Will you email it to me?

Thanks!

momma said...

I will when I get home, Sonya. I forgot to change her email address in my work address book.

Sonya said...

Thanks, momma. I put mine on her comments too. Your the best!

kim (weltek) said...

That's me, sensitive & poetic. :-)

I write this weird combination of cursive and standard writing. When I'm trying to look proper, I write small, mostly cursive. Usually I'm all over the board. My "s" in one sentence will look completely different than the "s" in the next one.

Bravie said...

I only write in cursive when I sign my name too.

momma said...

Okay, so Breezy's not really a mouse and Carey's not really a lesbian.

*snort*

Seana said...

Put me in the different s's group. I print them sometimes and write them others. When I was in Grade 11, I took a history course where the teacher mostly lectured. I got so bored that I played around with my handwriting. Now I half-print, half-write and at one point I slanted my handwriting to the left, just to break up the monotony.

Interesting topic.

Schnookie said...

I write big. I try to write small, but it always ends up big.

I also change the way I write some letters. There are a lot of "l's" in my address. I'll write it one way in the street address, then write it differently for the city. I also do that with "d's".

I also will change the direction that I write. I realize that I should really be consistant because my bank might think I'm a forger LOL.

Immunegirl said...

Hmmm. Apparently I am sensitive and poetic, relatively ambitious, hiding something, possibly putting on an act (my signature has recently turned into a scribble. Maybe I have hang out with doctors too much), possibly a martyr and possibly childish.

Hmmm.

lights said...

Mean Jean once worked in a bank in California and she's told us many times that she learned all about handwriting analysis there. She's put her so called expertise to use twice now to fire employees.

Most recently she told us all how the new girl was "unstable" by looking at her handwriting. She fired her that same day. *rolls eyes*

My handwriting changes depending on how much of a hurry I'm in. For the most part though, it's rounded and tilts slightly to the right.